Bubble Pearl or Tapioca Balls
Tapioca balls are translucent spheres; a product of tapioca, a starch extracted from the cassava root. They originated as a cheaper alternative to pearl sago in Southeast Asian cuisine. They are also known as boba, or pearls when in bubble tea.
What are tapioca pearls made of?
The tapioca pearls usually are black and are made from cassava starch, sweet potato, and brown sugar. Sometimes, white tapioca pearls are used – these are made from cassava starch, caramel, and chamomile root and have a different flavor.
How to prepare Tapioca Pearls for Bubble Tea
- Boil Water
- Pour tapioca into boiling water
- Stir lightly
- Let the tapioca float to the top
- Cook for 15 minutes on high heat with the cover on
- Steep the cooked tapioca for 15 minutes.
- Drain the water from the cooked tapioca.
- Cover in sugar syrup.