Caesar salad is a green salad of romaine lettuce and croutons dressed in lemon juice, olive oil, egg, Worcestershire sauce, anchovies, garlic, Dijon mustard, Parmesan cheese, and black pepper. In its original form, this salad was prepared and served tableside. This salad region in Tijuana, Mexico.
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 anchovy fillets, mashed
- Scant 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large head romaine lettuce, cleaned and cut into 1 to 2-inch pieces
- Freshly grated Parmesan
- 2 cups croutons
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolk, lemon juice, garlic, Worcestershire, pepper flakes, mustard, and anchovies. Slowly whisk in the oils to emulsify. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- Place the lettuce in a large bowl. Sprinkle with Parmesan and black pepper. Drizzle with the desired amount of dressing and toss well. Sprinkle top with croutons.